27 October 2007

Wintersmith

I finally, finally, got to read Wintersmith. It's the third of Terry Pratchett's young adult series featuring Tiffany Aching. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the previous two, but it's still a very good read. Short version: Tiffany manages to step into exactly the wrong dance, and if she can't put things right, summer will never come. (No decipherable spoilers below the fold)

The thing that I love about Pratchett's witches, most especially Granny Weatherwax, is that they get it. I don't know that I can explain what it is to anyone who doesn't already get it, but I suppose I can try. The balance. The still point. Waiting for your mud to settle so that the water runs clear. The place where thought ends and action begins. That there is always a price to be paid, a choice to be made, and the highest price may be for choosing what is right.

But back to this particular book. Sword-fighting with imaginary swords! Nac Mac Feegles threatening to stay in the Underworld! A kitten that scares even Greebo! Chickens galore! Snowflakes that look like people! Romance writers who don't understand sheep! People made of snowflakes! Singing cheese! Nac Mac Feegles reading books! And exchanging oxen for books! And we mustn't forget BOFFO!

Okay, I think I've run out of random, unhelpful exclamations now. Highly recommended to anyone who likes a good Story.

4 comments:

John said...

It was a really good story, but since it had Nac Mac Feegles in it, I couldn't help liking it.

Also, you forgot CRIVENS!

John said...

Sorry, that sentence should read "... liking it even if it hadn't been."

Qalmlea said...

I also didn't include any of their attempts to, er, "sing" Row, Row, Row Your Boat! Those amused me. Not quite as much as the "Romance" they procured for Tiffany to read. ^/^

Qalmlea said...

Oh, and I loved that it was You the kitten who was responsible for the chickens. "Meep."