14 May 2007

A compendium

I have something else to add to the list of things that make me physically ill: too much incense-burning. I figured this one out last week. I was feeling lousy up until I went outside. Suddenly I felt just fine. This went on for a day or so, and got better as I started keeping more of the windows open. I finally connected the nausea to the incense. It wasn't bothering me when I was burning it once a week or less, but I'd burned it several days in a row at that point. What I don't know is if it's all incense, or just that particular variety (a lemongrass blend put out by Purple Moon). Don burned some incense in taiji class on Saturday, and that didn't seem to bother me, but the air wasn't saturated with it, either.

Anyway, incense joins the list of:

benadryl (ok for external application; taken internally, it messes up my breathing)
chamomile (in tea; not so much ill as...out of it)
ginger (at least when I get enough in my system)
gluten ('nuff said)
incense (burned often enough to saturate the air)
soy (esp. soybean oil)
tea (green, black or white, more than a single serving)
zinc ricinoleate (very itchy rash)

I accidentally ordered a dish with ginger in it last week, with no major ill effects thankfully. I wasn't certain there was ginger in it...until I found a little shred of it. I'd already eaten some at this point, so I figured I might as well finish it. I did have some minor fatigue the next day, but I can't be certain there was a connection. I suspect it has to build up in my system to produce the majorly bad effects I got last fall, or else it has worse effects when I'm already depressed.

No comments: