01 May 2007

Cats

I just got back from seeing Cats, as in the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical based on some of T.S. Eliot's poems. It was...interesting. Enjoyable, yes, but more of a spectacle than a play, really. The music mostly served as backdrop for the dancing, with one major exception. Memory. Probably the most famous song to come out of Cats. It was also the thread that tied the various segments together so that there was some attempt at a plot. I'm probably making it sound worse than it was, as I am quite tired at the moment.

T.S. Eliot's poems were only tied together in that they were about cats. So with the musical. It gives the whole thing a very fragmented, disconnected feel, deliberately accentuated with occasional distractions that send the cats all running (gunshots, police sirens and lights, etc.). It was nicely done, just...not quite my cup of tea, I guess. Still, it's worth seeing if you get the chance. And now I have a real cat to tend to before sleeping.

ADDENDUM: I wore my silver strappy shoes to Cats last night. Think something like a sandal sole, but instead of an actual shoe, the top is a series of criss-crossing silver elastic cords. Anyway, when my mom picked me up, she said, "Oh, you're actually wearing pretty shoes." She sounded shocked. :^D

4 comments:

John said...

My mom reacts kind of like that if I'm not wearing steel toed boots.

Qalmlea said...

With my mom, it's a minor miracle that she didn't hate the shoes. Our tastes are very nearly orthogonal. The intersections isn't quite the zero vector, but it comes close.

John said...

I read somwhere that if God exists (and has a sense of humor), the poet's name would have been S.T Eliot.

Qalmlea said...

My first exposure to T.S. Eliot was in Catch-22. None of his poems, just a random mention of his name (which became quite the joke in our English class).

Then I read Last Call by Tim Powers, which really uses and builds on T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland. Then I started lookin for more of Eliot's work.

Here's a short excerpt:
----April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.


(Full Poem)