17 January 2007

Unfragile Things

Like refrigerators. We got Mom's old stove moved out on Monday, but the supplied pickup had to leave AND didn't have room for a fridge, standing up or lying down. So perhaps tomorrow. Or never. From my (limited) research, it seems that for short journeys, it is safe but not recommended to lay a refrigerator on its side. Then it should be allowed to stand upright for 24-48 hours before being plugged in, to allow the freon to drain back into the proper coils. Hopefully we can move it upright, but I have no idea at this point.

Also. Crackers. Okay, so they're semi-fragile, but do you have ANY idea how long it's been since I had a decent cracker? There are gluten-free ones available, but until two days ago, I'd never found one with the right texture. Glutino makes one. Fred Meyer now carries it. The flavor is not identical to what I remember of wheat-based crackers, but it is good nonetheless. Somewhere between a Ritz and a Saltine.

Not sure whether to count Merlin as fragile or not. I think that my neighbor was gone for the past several days, because "her" cat was needier than usual. I let him in on several occasions, and he mostly seemed to want company. Though the bit of pork chop he got last night seemed to make him extra EXTRA happy. :^) But today I've heard a motor in the driveway, and haven't seen Merlin around, so I think she's back. Which is both good and bad. I like having a cat around, but my allergies don't.

Last bit of news... I reread Going Postal this week. On the reread, it's not as dark as I remember, though there is still more overt darkness than in earlier Discworld books.

No comments: