24 January 2007

Sehr Interessant...

Every so often, I have one of those days (weeks?) that reminds me why "May your life be interesting" is considered one of the more potent curses. For the moment, however, it seems to have settled down. My alarm did not go off this morning. My first clue that something was wrong was seeing actual light coming in through a window. I knew it was far past when I usually get up, and immediately checked the clock. It was 8:00. My first class on Wednesdays starts at 8:00. So I threw clothes on, stuffed things in my backpack, and drove like mad for campus. (No, I didn't speed; too much ice on the windshield to risk it) I parked in the 20 minute parking at the credit union and raced across the street and up the stairs. A student called and asked me if we were having class while I was doing so, and I hurriedly explained. We started somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes late, but we covered the main things from 4.1 plus a few extras since I didn't have any notes with me. I guess it's a good thing that I've taught stats so many times. I borrowed a student's book to find a data set to use, but otherwise everything was off the top of my head.

And then I actually remembered to go move my car when class got out. It was in the 20 minute parking for roughly 50 minutes, apparently not long enough to get two drivebys by a parking ticketer. Then I lucked into a parking space on 9th, by getting there just as a pickup was pulling out. That I count as a minor miracle, given the parking situation close the physical sciences building. Anyway, almost time for the next class. I wonder what lies in store there... (ANSWER: Me being out of it enough to make ridiculous arithmetic errors...which may have helped keep the students awake)

No comments: