21 January 2007

Random Title of No Significance

Yesterday I came close to having to restart on my 108 day goal, but I managed to get some taiji and yoga in at the last minute before bedtime. I think I was in a mild state of shock most of the morning, over the news about Don. So I found stuff to do where I didn't have to think. Depressed? No, not really. I mean, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is ecstatic and 10 is suicidal, I was probably at a 6. Just...upset. But I'm back on track today, Day 26. (Incidentally, tomorrow I'll be one-quarter of the way through, and on January 31 I'll be at the one-third mark.)

And I have a new favorite snack. Glutino crackers with almond butter on them. Delicious. Why not peanut butter? Largely because peanuts are very closely related to soy, and sometimes give me similar reactions. So I try to stick with other nut-butters. Almond butter is my favorite, and, next to peanut butter, the easiest to find. Sunflower-seed-butter is weird, and a rather disturbing color. It's okay in very VERY small quantities. I've seen cashew butter as well, but I don't remember ever trying it.

And I can now drink green tea again! It was slowly getting better, and then I switched from Cal-Mag to Cal-Mag-Zinc. ZOOM! Within a week, I was able to drink green tea in normal quantities without any problem. So, yeah, it was a zinc deficiency to blame. I think I'd been deficient for quite a while, but it slowly started getting worse, and then the copper-bottom teakettle pushed it over the edge this fall. As for cause? Well, first off I'm gluten-intolerant, and that seems to be connected to trouble absorbing Zinc. Second, I think this house has copper pipes. This summer when I replace the kitchen faucet (no, I didn't get that done yet), I think I'll put in a water filter similar to my mom's. For the moment, I let the faucet run a while to clear out the water that's been sitting in the pipes, and that seems to help some.

And now, "I'm off to shovel the walkways! The wonderful walkways of snow! We see they are a shov'lable walk, if ever a walk there was!"

No comments: