10 January 2007

School's In

Back to teaching this week. It's just as well I got my syllabi mostly revamped early last week; later on, I was feeling the effects of a mild cold. It's the mild nuisance variety rather than the batten-down-the-hatches type, but I don't think I would have gotten anything done later in the week. Items of interest from the school front? Not too much, unless having the old edtion of the 143 book when all the students had the new one counts. :^) Which mean that I had to go find a copy of the new edtion (last copy the office had, as it turned out) and change the previously chosen homework problems. One mild schedule change, since the new book has one extra section in Chapter 3. Nothing new, really; just stuff that had been combined before is now separated. I like teaching 143. It's nice to have students who don't need to be reminded about EVery step. Though I wish they still introduced functions in 108. It used to be part of the material there; now it's brand new to most of the 143 students.

I thought I'd have more trouble adjusting to having a regimented schedule again, but I haven't. So far. For the first time ever, I do NOT have an evening class. Which is sort of nice, but it throws off my sense of timing. I mean, I'm completely DONE by 14:00 every afternoon, as far as needing to be on campus. It's...weird. Anyway, I hear the Mythbuster's intro starting, so I must away. To the living room. About 10 feet away. Heigh-ho Molybdenum!

PM (Post-Mythbusters) Addendum: I had an allergic reaction to something at my dad's house this afternoon. An allergic reaction in my eyes. The only time I've had anything similar was the time I got grapefruit seed extract in one. The results this time were similar, but not quite as painful. Unfortunately, this affected both eyes. So, how to describe the sensation... Imagine someone is pumping fluid into your eyeballs, making them expand until they don't feel like they quite fit. Some of the fluid leaks out into the surrounding tissue, waterlogging it. Your eyelids won't quite open all the way. In the mirror, you look like a drunk makeup artist tried to turn you into a bloated oriental.

The swelling is mostly gone now, thanks to an allergy eyedrop that my mom was kind enough to pick up for me. Ugh. I do not like red eyes and pain. But watching the Mythbusters recreate the Hindenberg explosion definitely improved my mood. :^)

No comments: