05 April 2006

Random Tidbits

I never mentioned yet, because there was no external sign of it, but I actually have an officemate this semester. Technically. We've been in the office at the same time exactly once. For the first half of the semester, I don't think he'd been in here at all. Recently there have been signs of habitation: a pile of scratch paper, a rubber duckie with a police hat and whistle, and a squishy foam lightbulb.

I had my first sword lesson since before break today. Not as bad as I expected. The first week back, I was too behind to go. The second week, I was having caffeine withdrawal headaches. By a strange coincidence, Don was having bad days then as well, and was just as happy NOT to give me a lesson. Today, we worked on some refinements. You know you're making progress when the instructor stops saying "No, facing THAT corner," and starts saying, "Fair Maiden's Wrist" or "Turn the waist!"

And yesterday one of the beginning taiji students asked me if I was an Aquarius. I blinked for a moment and said, "No. I'm a cancer; I'm the hideous disfiguring disease of the zodiac." Then he told me that I acted just like an Aquarius (which apparently means very extroverted). It isn't often that I get told I'm extroverted... :^) I'm definitely less of an introvert than I used to be, I admit, but I'm hardly an extrovert. Anyway, this guy was disappointed. He said it was the first time in a year and a half he'd guessed someone's sign wrong.

No comments: