15 September 2005

Weirdness

Well, a few things of note for today.

Overheard conversation: "It's not like money's a problem. I mean, my parents pay for everything."

I'm wearing my tie-dyed socks (again; lazy me). A student said she had a pair just like them. I found mine in Colorado (organic cotton, no less). Apparently she found hers in Eugene, Oregon. However, if I ever get around to tie-dying the rest of my white socks, no one will have any quite like them! Mua-ha-ha-ha-hahhhhhh!

And on the way to my evening office hour, I was driving down 12th when an older guy just walked out into the street. He stayed in the opposite lane, but I thought he might go straight in front of me. He stood in the middle of the lane, raised a camera and took a picture of the end of the street (including a pick up in that lane headed toward him). Then he turned around and took a picture of the opposite end of the street, turned again and walked back to the sidewalk. I found this rather odd.

And I almost forgot. As I was walking back to my car this afternoon, I cut through a parking lot. There was a red SUV. It pulsated in my vision, like a heart beating. Presumably, it was a pulse in my eye affecting my vision, but it looked like the SUV was literally pulsating.

ADDENDUM: As usual after getting finished with teaching, I went over to my parents' house. My mom's got Camerata practice in Tuesday and church choir on Thursday, so she hasn't been there lately. It's been me, Dad, and Ji'e'toh. I had a feeling I shouldn't go tonight, but went anyway. Nothing obviously bad happened, but my dad's tone of voice... I don't know if I would have preferred to slink away or hurt him, but I was not happy. What I actually did was smile and maintain a normal frame of voice. See, I borrowed his shop-vac a month or so ago. He wants it back. Fine. It's his. His tone of voice said he resented loaning it out in the first place. I have decided that I will never, ever, ask to borrow anything of his again. Nor will I ask for his help, barring a desperate situation. Now, here's the worst part. Things got better for a while, once he'd gotten distracted from the vacuum. As I left, I promised to return it tomorrow. The ugly tone of voice returned, as did a sense of negative energy. I have seen him a lot worse, but I have never seen him shift back and forth like that.

No comments: