15 September 2005

News and Rambling

I've spent most of the last couple of days giving and grading tests. I've got the first batch graded (statistics) and now have two sets of algebra tests to grade. My evening students might get their tests back tonight, or they might get them next week. *shrugs*

My cold got over the acute phase this weekend, when I could just sleep whenever I felt like it. It's not completely gone, but I no longer have a fever and my head doesn't feel like it's going to explode. (Incidentally, the brown rice "granola" bars I found brought the fever down almost instantly; I discovered this summer that eating them makes me cold, so I figured it might work on a fever. It did.)

Not much else happening with me. Here's an article that claims preserving the environment is cost effective. I'd like to see more detail on how they're figuring this, but it's a slap in the face to all the quickie profiteers, so I hope it's correct. And here's one about a guy making fuel from dead cats. Now, I object to killing cats specifically for fuel, but given how many get euthanized at shelters each year, why not recycle them? And in Australia, where cats are a major threat to their native species, it would be perfect. (For the record, I love cats. But once they're dead, they're dead.) It would be nice to see a cost comparison with, say, bio-diesel. All but one or two articles agree that bio-diesel is cost-effective. The ones that didn't were sponsored, big surprise, by oil companies. Slight conflict of interest there.

No comments: