03 September 2007

Quizzical Quorum

For the holiday (I get out of a whole TWO HOURS), I thought I'd go a-quiz hunting. Results below the fold.

You scored as Nature, You're the
NatureGoddess. You protect the
woods and care about all of its
creatures. Besides having a green
thumb you also can control plants
and somewhat of the earth below
them. Hunters don't come near
your woods because otherwise
they'll get struck withan arrow.

Nature


85%

Water


75%

Fire


65%

Light


55%

Air


50%

Dark


40%

What type of anime goddess are you?
created with QuizFarm.com


I like this result. I'm a bit surprised I didn't score higher on "Dark," though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


You scored as Epicurean, Epicureanism is named for Epicurus, its founder.
While its ends are similar, Epicureanism differs from Stoicism in its methods
andits beliefs in the afterlife. Epicureans believe the soul (if it even exists)
dies with the body and that no afterlife exists; therefore, one's life on earth is
of the utmost importance.

Epicurean


75%

Cynic


58%

Stoic


54%

Ascetic


42%

Hedonist


17%

What's your ancient philosophy?
created with QuizFarm.com
Hmmm.... My opinion on the afterlife tends to shift, honestly. The one constancy is that I do NOT see death as "the end," at least as that phrase is generally used. I subscribe to a somewhat Buddhist notion, that consciousness can be neither created nor destroyed. Whether that is simple "awareness" or "awareness with some memories" I don't really have an opinion on. But as a lot of who we are is carried in the body, the traditional notion of an immutable soul doesn't make much sense to me. But here is Wikipedia's article on Epicureanism. Kewl. The Epicurean Paradox is a variety of the objection that led me to reject Christianity. Hmmm... I think I scored as Epicurean by agreeing with most of the "avoid excess" questions...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You scored as Daoism, You
are daoism. You don't like
rules and believe that people
should not be told what to do.
The only punishment for
talking in class is you'll miss
out on the information and
you'll fail the test. You hate
being told what yo do and
you know you can make
your own desisions.


Daoism


70%

Confusiousism


65%

Legalism


5%

Which Chinese Philosophy Should You Follow?
created with QuizFarm.com

'Kay, someone's going to have to explain that picture to me, 'cause I don't get it. I should mention that this was a very short quiz (15 questions), and showed a very shallow understanding of the philosophies involved. Still, I would consider myself a Taoist (Daoist is another way of transliterating the Chinese alphabet, and is closer to the Chinese pronunciation). Reading Useless Tree has given me a greater appreciation of the Confucian point of view, however. Oversimplified: Taoism is at the level of the individual and Confucianism as at the level of the individual's relationships with others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You scored as Neo-Paganism,
Neopaganism or Neo-Paganism
is an umbrella term used to
identify a wide variety of new
religious movements, particularly
those influenced by ancient
and pre-Abrahamic Pagan religions.


These movements are extremely
diverse. The beliefs of adherents
of Neopaganism range widely from
duotheism to polytheism, and even
monotheistic and other paradigms.


Many Neopagans practice a
spirituality that is entirely modern
in origin, while others attempt to
reconstruct or revive culturally
historic Pagan and indigenous
belief systems.

Neo-Paganism


92%

Satanism


75%

Agnosticism


67%

Catholicism


67%

Atheism


58%

Protestantism


58%

Judaism


58%

Quakerism


50%

Deism


42%

Evangelism


0%

Western Religious Philosophy
created with QuizFarm.com

This one just makes me laugh. I have explored paganism. The whole Magick Ritual thing wasn't to my taste. But since I see all gods as equally real, I suppose 'pagan' is as good a label as any. I think "pantheist" might actually be more accurate, but that wasn't one of their options. I'm not really sure why "Satanism" wound up so high. As a matter of trivia, Wicca uses a five-pointed star, as in the graphic*. The upper-most point symbolizes "spirit" while the other four symbolize the four physical elements. So it's symbolic of spirit taking precedence over the physical world. The Satanic pentacle is inverted, point down, to symbolize that the physical world should take precedence over spirit. My response to these is to lay the pentacle flat and draw a circle around it, indicating equal importance. That or just use a yin-yang/taiji symbol.

*The pentacle in the graphic has nothing to do with western paganism, strangely enough. It symbolizes Chinese 5-Element theory. Around the outside is the "creation" cycle. Wood creates fire, fire creates earth, earth creates metal, metal creates water, water creates wood. The star is the destruction cycle. I think. It's been a while.

No comments: