14 February 2007

Magnesium

The more I read, the more I wonder if my symptoms are JUST due to magnesium deficiency, and not pseudogout at all. NIH's page on magnesium mentions that those with gluten intolerance often require supplementation. The "numbness and tingling" caught my eye, as my left big toe was half numb during the summer, and now feels consistently...tingly.

I took one magnesium pill yesterday evening, and in the morning I felt improvement in my foot AND toe. I'm hoping that's not a fluke.

And...why not go have a doctor test my nutrient levels? Well, there's the money... Also, I don't really trust doctors. Not due to any conspiracy nonsense, but because I know how my body responds to things, and they don't. I've had doctors tell me that my reactions are imaginary, or impossible, etc. I have yet to find a non-patronizing doctor who actually listens to me. If I had such a doctor, I would consider going in for testing. As is, no way. *shrugs*

4 comments:

Becky said...

I have needed magnesium for years. A doctor I trust said that the magnesium you take should be chelated. Otherwise, you do not get the best benefit from it. It should not have the Milk of Magnesia effect on you.

I am looking into gluten intolerance. I don't know that it is my problem, and I would prefer it weren't (no offense : ), but I am getting suspicious.

I have such an odd variety of symptoms that there are several things that could be happening, from celiac's to menopause. Getting old is fun...

Qalmlea said...

Can't blame you for not wanting to be gluten intolerant. I don't mind the avoiding wheat, honestly. It's all these deficiencies that are annoying me. *sighs*

Qalmlea said...

I had heard that about other minerals. There's a good discussion here.
But be aware that at VERY high doses, magnesium does become toxic (despite the claim on the link). Not sure how much you have to take, but presumably taking more than your body can process at one time is not good.

Anonymous said...

I have heard that high doses can be dangerous as well. I use 500 mg from here: http://www.bioinnovations.net/prodinfo.asp?number=CL2685
I am on my first bottle, so I don't know if it will make a huge difference using chelated, but I am hopeful.

Easy road,
Aunt Bee