05 November 2005

Progress?

I stayed home from taiji today. My body told me it needed the rest, and since I woke up with a fever, it seemed likely that I might be contagious. The upshot is that my kitchen is now almost clean and I am having my first taste of fresh bread in several months. It's Bette Hagmans "Featherlight Rice Bread" with minor modifications. Good stuff. I made a double batch, so that I could make a loaf of bread and some cinnamon rolls. Not rolls in the usual sense; more like pull-aparts. Gluten free dough does not lend itself to rolling out and making neat spirals. I haven't baked in a while, in large part because my table has been overflowing with junk. Today I attacked said junk and the table is usable again. Not completely cleared off, but several orders of magnitude improved.

I also played musical cars with my mom today. She needed to get her snowtires on, and needed a ride back from Les Schwab (why couldn't my dad do it? Good question. He out and out refused to do it for Mom during the week, even though she is working full time and he's bloody well retired. Oh, wait, he might miss recording one of his shows! Oh, the horror!) Then Mom decided we should get Grandma's car taken care of as well (no mention made of mine, but since I don't have to be to work until 10:30 or 11:00 during the week, I can likely take care of my own). We also got groceries for Grandma; she hasn't been driving since her stint in the hospital. Then Grandma gave my mom some money and insisted she take me out to lunch. Not sure why, exactly, but I got a good meal at Chang's Garden, so I'm not complaining.

Anyway, I'm SICK of having a messy house (being sick always makes me notice these things more, especially when I start to feel better), so my plan is to work my way out from the kitchen and get as far as I can tomorrow. Unfortunately, I also have a lot of grading to catch up on. *sighs* Well, I'll clean in the morning and hopefully grade in the afternoon. Oh, and despite the fever this morning, my cold seems to be a lot better today. I THINK my voice is a bit better than it has been. Maybe by Monday I'll be able to lecture with a clear voice again.

No comments: