10 November 2005

Don't mind me: I think I'm going mad

It's been a weeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiird day. Partially it's my own fault for forgetting to grab the primary component of my lunch. My mind does strange things when it's short on food. So when the undersecretary in the math department decided to lay into me (You know that "calm" voice that people use when they're really unhappy and would like to shout? I got that for making a simple request for information), I reacted badly. Not to her, but afterwards. I was happily picturing her head exploding into little red bits, and I try not to do that. You never know when a stray thought might actually do some damage.

Of course, the weirdness started before food became an issue: during my meditation session. I "saw" dragons again (in my mind; not with my vision), and there was a new element: The Imperial March. You know, Darth Vader's theme? Not what you expect from a quiet meditation session.

As for the rest, I edited an Algebra test while my body screamed for food and tried to shut my mind down, then tried to work on Real Analysis homework while my students took said test and my body continued to scream for food. It's better now. I grabbed some ham at Fred Meyer before coming home, and I'm working my way through a bowl of popcorn. If I get the beans soaking tonight, I'll make chili tomorrow and have meals for a week. That will be nice.

3 comments:

IAMB said...

So, who's in charge in the math department nowadays? I haven't been over there in a while, but will have to again one of these days...

Qalmlea said...

Dr. Fisher took over this year. Nice guy... but the one time I had a class lecture from him, I got very little out of it. He's not as laidback as the last chairman was... we'll see how it goes.

(Nice job on the Skeptics' Circle, btw)

IAMB said...

Fisher seems like a decent guy, from what I know of him. I never had any classes with him though.

Actually saw Dr. Hill over at Goody's Tuesday while having beer and pizza bombs for lunch, but haven't seen anyone else from the department in years.

Thanks for the compliment. I spent a rather large amount of time on the presentation, so I had quite a bit invested. I'm just glad people liked it (might have a tough time topping that one the next time I host though).