11 November 2005

Odds and Ends

I did get the beans soaking last night, and thus was able to make chili today. Pinto beans, red beans, black beans, several red bell peppers, an orange bell pepper, four chili peppers, four jalapeƱo peppers, an onion and two pounds of beef went into it, along with the obligatory chili powder and cumin. Turned out pretty well, but a bit thinner than I like it. Too much water. Oh well. I made biscuits to go along with it, from a GF mix that I hadn't tried before. They turned out surprisingly well, considering that I was very sloppy about making them.

I am very glad that the week after next is Thanksgiving Break. I'm starting to wonder if it's time to move on from my job at ISU, but I don't know what else I might do right now. I would love to be able to make a living teaching taiji, but that seems more than unlikely at the moment. Just for the record, I get these feelings about moving on fairly regularly, usually when things get backed up for me during the semester.

A strange thing happened today. I was giving my Math 143 class a test, and some of them were hanging on past class-time (we officially get out at 12:50). Usually the next class bursts in on us around 12:55. Today, it didn't. The next Prof was being very careful to keep his students out. I called for all the tests to come in around 12:58. Perhaps coincidence, earlier that hour I had mentally shouted out that the building was MINE! (Still annoyed at the secretary from yesterday; less so than before) But it's nice to think that maybe the building heard me and told the next prof to back off.

Anyway, on the interesting news front, Buddhist Meditation thickens the brain, and John Cleese gets a lemur named after him.

6 comments:

John said...

The chili sounds like it was pretty good, but didn't you put in any tomatoes? I love fresh tomatoes.

Personally, I like corn bread with chili, but biscuits are good, too.

IAMB said...

Re: taji

Do you actually teach the class at the college, or is Wabrek still teaching it?

Qalmlea said...

John: Oh yeah, I did put in tomato paste. I'm not a big fan of fresh tomatoes, actually, but I do like tomato sauces. I prefer fresh bread, but ran out of time.

iamb: Wabrek teaches it in the spring. Melissa (Norton) has been taking the fall classes, but she didn't want them this year, so I took over. It's a lot of fun, actually.

Becky said...

I have heard that processed tomatoes, like tomato sauces, actually have more antioxidants than fresh. It is unusual for a fruit to be healthier when it is cooked.

Qalmlea said...

Yeah, I have read that as well. I think it's the lycopene that is processed better after cooking, but it's quite possible I'm getting it mixed up with something else.

Becky said...

Either way, your chili recipe does sound pretty good : )