17 November 2005

Musing on a Song

Well, Fibonacci's been trying to figure out what some Paul Simon lyrics mean (starting in this post and continued by kate). So I tracked down the lyrics to "Feelin' Groovy":

Slow down, you move too fast
You've got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feeling groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feeling groovy

Hello lampost, what'cha knowing
I've come to watch your flowers growin'
Ain'tcha got no rhymes for me
Doo-it in doo doo, feeling groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feeling groovy

I got no deeds to do
No promises to keep
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep
Let the morningtime drop all its petals on me
Life I love you, all is groovy


Okay, "Slow down, you move too fast / You've got to make the morning last" is pretty obvious. People are so busy doing stuff that they don't pay any attention to what's going on around them, or they're so worried about the future that they completely miss the present.

"Just kicking down the cobblestones" could refer to just taking a leisurely walk on a cobblestoned path, or could refer to doing something simple that has no obvious merit on its own. The cobblestones are already down, so why kick them further down? Actually, those go together rather nicely, especially considering the next line: "Looking for fun and feeling groovy." Nothing particular in mind...just going with the flow and seeing where it leads.

"Hello lampost, what'cha knowing / I've come to watch your flowers growin' / Ain'tcha got no rhymes for me" This is my favorite verse, but it's nearly impossible to explain to someone who hasn't experienced this frame of mind. I get there by meditating, but supposedly some drugs accomplish the same thing (with bad side effects). I'll try to explain it... When you look at the world, you see that everything is alive, and (in some sense) aware. Got a question? The lamppost might know (and as a source of light it's a symbol of knowledge anyway). Its "flowers" probably represent the fruits of its labor. It's a light guiding people on a path. Flowers growing are people following that path. "Rhymes" likely represent lessons going beyond simple guidance, like the lessons learned in everyday life.

"I got no deeds to do / No promises to keep" This part is pretty clear, and goes along with the idea of simply seeing where the flow leads. No obligations or attachments. Just kickin' down the cobblestones, following the path.

"I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep" Hmmmm... One definition of "dapple" is "to mark with spots." I think it's the "mark" that's important. He's on the path. The path has marked him. Also, dappled means "mixed or mottled", so his path is not the path of extremes. It is a middle road. His only obligation is to himself, to keep on the path, so when he's drowsy he might as well sleep.

"Let the morningtime drop all its petals on me / Life I love you, all is groovy" First, the "let" is important. He is allowing things to happen rather than forcing them, and whatever happens, life is still groovy. Also, if all the petals fall on him, they will probably cover him, hiding him. So even if he is not noticed, if he is hidden, life is groovy. His well-being does not depend on other people recognizing or approving of him.

Overall, this song is about figuring out what's really important in life, about finding your path and accepting guidance where you find it. And the point is not for others to know that you are on the path, the point is for you to really BE on the path. Then everything will be "groovy."

3 comments:

Becky said...

The depth you apply to this song is interesting, and you could be on the right track. I didn't think it was that deep. It reminds me an awful lot of Singin' in the Rain. But light songs often have heavy meanings...
similar to the old nursery rhymes that were actually political statements.

How's your grandmother? I hope she is stabilizing and doesn't have anymore adverse reactions. I have an aunt in Iowa on dialysis, who has other health issues as well; I know it has been tough for her.

You mentioned that your grandmother
said that she would never take dialysis, but has thankfully changed her mind. I think that many people make statements like that, but no one really knows how they might react in a specific situation. Some things seem like they would be impossible to face, when all is fine. I am reminded of that guy (in Utah?) that was rock climbing alone and got his arm stuck, and amputated it himself in order to survive. That is one I would never expect to attempt, but my arm isn't stuck right now.

Anyway, I hope that she does well and you have much more sweet time together.

We have been noticing the nightly light show as well. The rings around the moon have been frequent and how interesting to watch the position of Mars -- relative to the moon -- change so drastically from night to night. The clouds certainly add to the drama.

Qalmlea said...

Grandma's stabilizing now, and discovering that it's difficult to use a walker when she's attached by a tube to an oxygen tank. She looked a lot better last night.

I'm probably overanalyzing the song, but that's the meaning I get out of it. :-)

Becky said...

It is fun to do, but ultimatly the only way to know for sure is to ask the author, and he (or she) may not even know. : )

I'm glad that your grandmother is looking better and is stable. I expect she'll get the hang of the tubes and such.