08 August 2008

If it's shaped like a duck, and worn like a duck...

Am I the only one who's never heard the term "trucker hat" before today? I ran across it, and had to go searching to figure out what the devil it was. As far as I'm concerned, it's a particular species of "baseball cap." Giving it a different name serves no purpose. We had several of these so-called trucker hats when I was growing up. Most of them said "Bass Pro Shops" on them, and we wore them for fishing, but, if asked, we called them baseball caps. The basic shape is almost identical, except that the foam goes up straighter on the "trucker" version. Essentially, this is like saying a tanktop with mesh sleeves and a foam front needs a name other than "tanktop". (images from here)

Oh, and apparently despite my never having heard of them, they are now going "out" as a fashion statement (????) ... Er, sorry, but that's as ridiculous as saying "T-shirts" are a fashion statement. Add a descriptor to that and it becomes somewhat meaningful. For instance, "hard rock cafe T-shirts" were "in" when I was in high school. I never really fathomed why, but at least that's a meaningful statement.

Anyway, here are my rules for fashion:
(1) Clothing that fits. Oversized is okay if it serves a semi-useful purpose (showing underwear does not count).

(2) Clothing that I like. I don't care if puke-brown and girly-pink combos are in (common in stores maybe 2 years ago). They look awful to me, like someone threw up all over a Barbie house. Likewise, if I don't like what's currently "in", I will not wear it.

(3) Clothing that does not make me ill. I can't wear any artificial fabrics. A mix with 10% or less of, say, spandex seems to be okay. I can't wear anything with big plastic designs on it. I can't wear anything with metal decorations on it, whether as metallic thread or just little metallic discs glued on. So far, I can tolerate a metal zipper in something, but I try to get plastic zippers if there's a choice. Lesser of two evils.

(4) Clothing that will last. The vast majority of women's clothing costs more and is less durable than the vast majority of men's clothing. There are exceptions in both directions, but, in general, if I can find a near-identical item in the men's section, it will be cheaper, made better, and last longer. Presumably this is because fewer men see clothing as a commodity to be traded out when fashion changes.

(5) Clothing that is comfortable and that I can move in. (1) takes care of part of this, but stuff can fit and still be miserable to wear. Pretty much, if I can't do at least 90% of the taiji form in it, I'm not interested. 100% is better. Dress clothing I might put up with 80% if I particularly like it, but that's my limit.

No comments: