02 April 2007

Steel Hummingbird Flies Coop

Cal-Ranch is a local chain that could best be described as a farmer's general store. They carry lots of tools and hardware, hunting stuff, yard care supplies, seeds, and "western" style clothing (as in, it wouldn't look out of place in a Country music video). On Saturday, I wandered over to the one in Pocatello, mainly curious about their yard care stuff. I found a stiff ring woven from cocoa fibers that goes around trees and/or shrubs to keep things from growing too close to them, and got two of them. One works perfectly around my ornamental plum. I think I should have opted for the larger size for my lilac bush, so I may wind up going back.

The store also carries some very nice artwork, and yard decorations. I'm not sure which this hummingbird piece would count as:



It's currently hanging on my front door, though I wound up putting a bit of felt on it so that the metal wouldn't scratch anything. Cal-Ranch had a bunch of similar pieces that I liked, so much so that I looked up the company on the web. It's called Steel Images, Inc.. I am strongly tempted to get one of their large lizard sculptures for my living room. I recently took some plant-holders off the wall (because the plants weren't getting enough sun there), and could use something to fill up the space. They had this one at the store, but with a "welcome" on it. The one that I am considering, though is the S-Gecko.

My problem with filling that spot is that a traditional, rectangular, framed piece of art would be at odds with just about everything in that room. A nice, organic shape like the gecko would be perfect.

No comments: