06 October 2006

Sand, Daggers and Bowls

I ordered a CD through Amazon a while back, with a book that is taking longer to ship than expected, so they sent the CD first. It's called Seven Metals: Singing Bowls of Tibet. It's not one I'd recommend for recreational listening, but it works very well for meditation. The quality of the recording is amazing. You can hear AND feel the reverberations from the bowls. And while there are additional instruments, none of them detract from the sounds of the bowls. A lot of times recordings like this are mixed in with modern and synth instruments, with a driving beat in the background, which ruins them imo. This one is very nicely done.

Also this week, I finally watched my DVD of House of Flying Daggers. I got it a few weeks back during one of Fred Meyer's DVD sales. It is also very nicely done. Many of the same people involved with Hero were involved in this one, so it has the same overall flavor. Which means there are lots of plot twists and you're never quite sure who's on which side. It also means that the ending is less than happy, though in a weird way it isn't. Awesome fight scenes, lots of color. Highly recommended. Though I have to quibble a bit. In one scene, a character takes a direct hit to the heart from the hilt of a sword or dagger...and continues fighting. Sorry, but that was almost certainly fatal, blade or no.

I guess that leaves the sand. I finally had a chance to work some more on my pathway from the back door to the garage. All the brick are in place, but I haven't finished filling in the gaps with sand. Then I've got some decorative rock to put in places where bricks wouldn't fit. But it is that much closer to being done. :^)

1 comment:

kate said...

House of Flying Daggers has been on my mental to-view list for several months. Perhaps I'll bump it up a bit. (: