28 October 2006

Anansi Boys

I guess I've been in a reading mood lately, since I just finished another new paperback. I really enjoyed American Gods, and Anansi Boys is at least as good, if not better. The name Anansi comes from a West African god, about whom there are many many stories. I have no idea how much the stories in Gaiman's version resemble the originals, but they have the right flavor. As for the book itself, it's about the two sons of Anansi. I suppose you could call it a "coming of age"/"reuniting family" story. But it's also a story about stories. ;^D And how Tiger wants the stories back from Anansi. And how Tiger should never ally himself with Weasel. And how the Bird Woman keeps her promises. Oh, and how old gods never really die. Highly recommended.

One minor caveat: I found the beginning a bit slow, and hard to get into. But after the first fifty pages or so, it was difficult to put down.

3 comments:

kate said...

I've heard good things about this book. It was checked out of the library when I tried to find it.

Qalmlea said...

:^D Well, if I ever manage to hand off those books Fibonacci gave me to bring down, I can include that one as a loan.

Qalmlea said...

:^D Well, if I ever manage to hand off those books Fibonacci gave me to bring down, I can include that one as a loan. (And if this comment shows up twice, it's because Blogger's doing odd things and I can't tell that the original one actually exists)