22 September 2006

Weak Week

Free advice. If you ever decide to disinfect plastic water bottles using hydrogen peroxide, rinse them out thoroughly before reusing them. I just figured the extra would evaporate, no problem. Uh, no. Despite the fact that there couldn't have been very much left in them (less than a teaspoon in a 1.5 Liter bottle), there was a noticeable and unpleasant taste. Followed by nausea if the taste wasn't deterrent enough. I suspect that's the reason I've been extra tired this week as well. Anyway, all the afflicted bottles have now been rinsed and are no longer making me feel ill.

In other news, my mom is getting an emergency egress window installed in her basement. This is now a requirement if you resell a house, and she figured she might as well do it while she was replacing all the windows. The guy who came by early in the week was a complete and total idiotic jerk, who misinformed her on many subjects and had her very freaked out. Basically, he said that putting in the emergency egress window would fill the room with water and mud, etc, and that she'd have to move a rather large built-in shelf next to a different window, and I don't know what all. So we spent Monday and Tuesday evening clearing out the egress room, pulling up the carpet and attempting to pull the paneling off (which would require either pulling up the tack strips for the carpet or taking down the ceiling, so far as I could tell). We left the carpet pad, since it was glued to the concrete. A different guy came on Wednesday and said we'd done plenty and they could work around the paneling, and wherever did we get the idea it would be THAT messy? *sighs*

My mom was nice enough to include three windows at my house in her replacement. Most of the windows in my house were nearly new when I bought it. But for some weird reason two of the basement windows had not been replaced. As it turns out, the wood in the frames is rotten, so they were well overdue. I'm also having them replace an itty-bitty window in the garage that seems to be an opening with two mismatched pieces of glass sort of slid into it. When I heard the cost for just those three windows at my house, I decided I really didn't want to know what Mom was paying total. She went for the ultimate, top of the line.

Speaking of windows, I finally found some curtains for my bedroom that I really liked. My basement already had the emergency egress window in it, and it's in my room, so I've got a full-size window down there. These are the first curtains I've bought without planning to dye them! ;^D They were at Fred Meyer, mostly cotton, gorgeous striped jacquard pattern in tones of beige with almost a watermark design. Minor problem: they were ninety inches long, and my basement ceiling is about seventy-eight inches. My mom took them to a friend of hers who sews and had her cut them down, and I also had her sew the cut-off pieces together into a smaller curtain for the smaller window in there. The small one is up, since there's no way to get a decent curtain rod there. Well, no easy way. So it's on a tension rod instead. I've got a copper rod with a Celtic motiff for the large window, but I'd really like to paint down there first. *sighs*

No comments: