18 September 2006

Picture Time!

So it's a bit later than most people's weekends, but since I don't go to work until 16:00 today, I still consider Monday morning the weekend. Here are some pictures of the north side of the room with the bamboo flooring. Why north? Because that's the side that is mostly done. I might put a few shelves up above the chairs, and I obviously have some paint touch-ups to do, but that's about it. And...pictures away!


The chair at left is the one that had been acting as a storage bin downstairs for a while. I bought it with some birthday money my grandma gave me several summers ago, and I am very pleased to have it in a space where I can now use it. It's quite comfy, too. The chair at right is new, bought to balance out the other chair on that side of the room. It's not quite as comfy, but it works. It's a lot darker than the other chair, so I threw in the light-toned pillows to tone it down a bit. The snazzy-looking one is actually a blue pillow in a cover I found on clearance at a craft store. The blue looked okay, but the gold looks better.

The table in the middle belonged to my grandma, then my mom decided to get a set of all matching tables for the living room and it went to me. The dragon menagerie on top is not a permanent fixture... I was going to hang up a geometrically patterned shelf to put the dragons on, but the way the manufacturers intended for it to be hung up is nowhere near stable. So I have to add some better hardware before that can happen. And I'm not sure the shelf works in the room anyway, so I'm thinking a few of the dragons will stay and the others will go back to the living room.

And this one is a view of the northwest corner, mainly to show off the fish painting that inspired the blue accents. They really work in there to soften the red walls. The north wall and part of the east wall are white. Everything else is red, except the door, its trim, and the inside of the west window.

Minor change of plans regarding the planned tea-cart. I found a nice bench at Pier 1 Imports (where the rest of the furniture in there came from, actually) with a cupboard under it. I think it will work better than either of the carts that I currently have. I also plan to put up some mirrors on the south wall. This will help me check my posture in yoga and taiji, reflect back light, and break up the red on that wall. One mirror I found in the garage, and I'm almost certain it was in the house during the fire. Yup. Fire. Several years before I bought this place, there was a fire caused by a short in Christmas lights strung around it. The mirror cleaned up more easily than I expected, but it is scratched up. I haven't decided yet if that's enough reason not to use it. I've also got a large mirror downstairs that I want to extract from its frame (a former Wal-Mart shoe-bench that I found at a garage sale). Anyway, I've got a bunch of tests to grade, so that's it for the moment.

2 comments:

kate said...

I like the colors, and the floor looks very nice. (: My room is done in black and white, and I like the stark elegance, but I won't do another bedroom in it.

Qalmlea said...

Black and white can be awesome when it's done right. For the moment, though, I'm looking for color. :^D