04 September 2006

Random Selections

I suppose I'll have to begin on a sad note. Steve Irwin, aka the Crocodile Hunter, is dead. I first saw this on Pharyngula, but Orac's article has more detail, and links to more of the press coverage. It's almost funny that it was a stingray that did him in. Stingrays are usually docile, unless you step on them. All I can say is, I feel bad for Terry and the kids.

And now for something completely different: a Christian denounces public prayer after the horrors of being exposed to a pregame Buddhist prayer in Hawaii. Which suggests a good way to eliminate the prayer in school movement: alternate with prayers from every religion represented in the school district. As well as non-prayer days for the atheists. That way, no one gets left out. Not the Satanists, the pagans, the Wiccans, the Buddhists, the Taoists, the Muslims, the animists... Honestly, that's the only way to get prayer in school, since anything else is effectively establishing a state religion, specifically forbidden in the first amendment. I can just imagine the outcry.

In other news, most of the digging for my path to the garage is done. I stopped because I realized I needed another curvy border piece, then noticed it was time for dinner. By the time I had eaten and run back to Lowe's for the extra piece, it was too dark to work. So I'll start that up again later in the day. Hopefully I've got enough rock and sand to get it done. :^)

UPDATE: Nope. Not nearly enough rock. Not sure about the sand yet, but I'm going to need a LOT more rock. I talked to a guy at Home Depot, and he said it would be a lot cheaper to go out to a cement factory and get some crushed rock there. For that, I need dad's pickup, minus the camper shell. He said he was planning to take the shell off NEXT weekend, and sulkily refused to do so beforehand. *sighs* So that project is stalled. I do have the "porch" to the garage in place (rectangle of 24 = 8x3 bricks just outside the regular door). The rest of the path looks rather forlorn and barren. Still, the really hard part is done, so once I get the rock it shouldn't be too bad to finish. Oh, there were already blocks in as a porch from some previous owner. I dug them out. From the looks of things, they filled three buckets with concrete and had some sort of divider down the middle. So the stones I dug out were half-cylinders of concrete. I haven't decided if I have a use for them or not.

No comments: