09 September 2006

Paved with...Sand?

Yesterday, Dad decided to take the shell off the pickup. When I got home, I found out that this was likely my only chance to get materials to finish my pathway. For $17, they used a bulldozer to scoop up sand and dump it into the bed of the pickup. I had planned to get rocks, but the guy at the concrete place said sand tended not to shift as much. Anyway, you don't really appreciate how much a bulldozer can shift at once until you've had to shift a similar amount by hand. That was fun. Well, I thought so. My mom is planning to run away to Siberia if I ever ask her to help with anything remotely similar. Or possibly Bermuda. At any rate, I now have more sand than I know what to do with, and the walkway is roughly one third done. The "porch" for the garage is done all out of the rectangular bricks. For the rest, I've been putting in circular stepping stones and filling in gaps with brick as best I can. It has a rather chaotic look that I like. It will get more chaotic when I run out of circular stones. All I could find this year were hexagonal ones.

The best part about shifting the sand was finding ways to apply taiji prinicples to it. Use the legs, NOT the back. Never the back. Anyone who EVER tells you to "put your back into it" is either trying to ruin your health or has no idea how the human body actually functions.

I finally found curtain rods for my recently dyed curtains. Wal-Mart. Eck. I only went because Mom was driving and I hadn't checked at Wal-Mart yet. I despise crowds, and Wal-Mart is nearly always crowded. But they actually had some curtain rods that I liked. Sort of pewter with a decorative loop at either end. Black would have been better, but I was sick of looking anyway. So I need to get those up tomorrow and see how the blue looks. I may still try to lighten it a bit and/or put some green it to make the color more teal. *shrugs*

3 comments:

Becky said...

I have a sister-in-law who will paint absolutely anything to make it match her theme. She has a large relief picture/plaque sort of thing of tulips that she has changed the color on multiple times. Somehow it always looks good. She would paint the rods black, and it would work.

You might want to intermingle your round stepping stones with the hexagonal ones to give it a more uniform look, but it might be too much work if the round ones are already in place, and you might just like them separated.

It would be cool if you could make some appear to change gradually to hexagonal like an Escher picture. Like that would be easy.

Qalmlea said...

I like having all the round ones together. I have a decorative one with a Chinese symbol on it that I'll put in between the switch, so that it looks deliberate. And the Escher thing WOULD be cool. :^) But I think the only way to do it would involve lots of time with a hammer and chisel.

And the pewter looks all right. Softer than black would, but I'm all right with that.

kate said...

My basketball team picked rocks for a fundraiser one year; it took about three rocks to figure out that lifting with your legs really is a good idea.