03 September 2006

Projects

Turns out that part of the reason my head felt so odd while I was changing out that faucet was because my mom had generously shared her cold with me. I wound up with a much milder version than she did, but it was just starting to hit last Sunday. It's gone now, but it does necessitate replacing all the water bottles I've been using.

So, projects for today/tomorrow. I'd like to change out the kitchen faucet. I'll have to see if any of my tools will reach up behind the sink before I try it. If not, I'll need to acquire longer tools. I also need to get all the stuff out of the back room. Tomorrow (or Wednesday? since tomorrow's a holiday) they're bringing the bamboo flooring out to acclimate to the house, then a week from tomorrow they're supposed to install it. I'm planning to use the room as a combination dojo/tearoom. I'd been using a room in the basement as a dojo, but I just can't stand to be down there any more. It's like a cave. This room has two windows, so it gets both air and light.

I've also started (barely) working on a path from the back door to the garage. See, I had all these red cinder bricks stacked up from an aborted attempt at a huge flower garden (too many weeds; I needed to start with completely fresh soil). They've just been gathering dust, spiders and earwig nests, but now I figure they'll be good borders for the path way. I've also dug out some stepping stones I laid out several years back that were more than half overgrown with grass. For the rest, I need sand, some white gravel, and to make a framework. I might put some mortar along the outside, so that I can remove the framework eventually, but I'm not sure about that yet. Anyway, being outside is more appealing than being under a sink, so I'll probably head over to Lowe's in a bit to look for supplies. On the bright side, I found a whole bunch of fence timber when I was cleaning out the garage, so I'll use that for the framework and NOT have to buy any lumber. I suppose I could actually use it to make a fence, but that backyard gets so little sunlight as is that I'd rather stick with chainlink if I put a fence back there.

4 comments:

John said...

"to acclimate to the house"

?

is it homesick?

Qalmlea said...

Wood expands and contracts depending on humidity levels and temperature (and probably other stuff). They want to make sure it's already done all that before they put the floor in. It's standard for any sort of wood floor, actually.

John said...

I know. It was a lame joke.

I knew that going in, but I made it anyway.

Qalmlea said...

:^) Sorry for missing that it was a joke.