25 February 2006

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Productive day of writing yesterday. I've made a start at switching a story that I want to include in the writing into poem form. It's extremely rough at the moment, but now that I've got the pertinent detail in poetry, I can tweak it later. For now, I'm just trying to get some plot stuff straightened out.

I've decided that most of what I wrote over the past year was garbage. Mainly because I was NOT in writing mode (At the moment, I have the scapegoat of malnutrition to blame, since starting on the multivitamin seems to have jumpstarted my writing again). There was one transition scene I had written that I'm pretty sure I wrote solely so Alex could resist the temptation to tell Draven his brother was a blockhead (Draven doesn't know his brother is in town, and would react badly to the news). It was otherwise useless, and is now defunct. Thankfully, I've been able to use much of the infrastructure I put in, just with major, um, rewrites. Most notably, I inserted a plot element that had been wandering aimlessly through my mind into the infrastructure, with quite pleasing results. Unfortunately, it did force me to switch POV character in several places, but as Draven had been POV character mainly so that Alex wouldn't be (and since several of those scenes were useless), it wasn't that much work.

Writing is a lot like taiji, in that you cannot force it. When you do, the result is garbage. I'd been trying and trying to mesh a bunch of plot elements together, and it wasn't working. In the past few weeks, I didn't try at all and everything is falling together. However, I am currently sick of staring at a computer screen, so I'm going to go stare at the tv screen instead...and continue watching Babylon 5; Episodes 6 & 7 were quite enjoyable. I had seen Episode 6 (Dust to Dust) before, but not in the proper context of the storyline (i.e. in order by episode). G'Karr gets a hold of some "Dust" in the hopes of using it as a weapon against the Centauri...and gets a lot more than he bargained for. Episode 7 (Exogenesis) was one I'd never seen all the way through. I remembered the end, but not the beginning. It was...sort of an oddity. Parasitic creatures who turn out to be semi-friendly, though still quite strange. The best part of the episode was having Marcus and the Doctor locked up together. Marcus is a favorite character of mine. "One from three makes one..." :^D

No comments: