19 May 2009

GF: Kinnikinnick English Muffins

At Fred Meyer a few weeks back, I happened to spot a new gluten free product in the freezer of the Natural Foods section. It was on the top shelf, buried between some non-GF stuff, but I'd spotted the GF label in passing and went to investigate. It turned out to be Kinnikinnick English Muffins. I bought a package, mostly out of curiosity and because I hadn't had English muffins in a very long time. They are awesome. I have absolutely no idea what people normally do with English muffins, but I've used them for toast and mini-pizzas. I think they'd work well as hamburger buns, too. Great flavor and excellent texture.

The downside is that they're a bit pricey. I think they were $5 rather than $5.60 at Fred Meyer, and that's for four English muffins. Now, the intent is that you cut them in half to use them, so that's 8 servings if you use them separately, but they're so thick that I usually cut each one into three pieces, yielding 12 servings from the bag. That's not so bad for $5. And, honestly, these have better taste and texture than the non-GF English muffins I bought once a very long time ago. Highly recommended.

GF Tips Index

No comments: