05 April 2009

GF: Hodgson Mill - Apple Cinnamon Muffin Mix

This is a GF baking mix that I found at Albertson's, of all places. Though, looking at the online prices, it was a bit overpriced. (Hodgson Mill's Site, Amazon)

On the one hand, it's nice to have an out-of-the-box muffin mix that's easy to find. On the other, there was an odd taste to the bread that I didn't care for. In this case, I'm not sure what ingredient is resulting in the funny flavor. Like the Glutino bars below, flax seeds are part of the ingredient list, but I know what flax seeds taste like, and that's not what I'm tasting; however, there's a note on the box that says Hodgson uses "specially Milled Flaxseed" which is processed to make the Omega-3 oils more absorbable. It could also be due to the millet flour, which is an ingredient I haven't used in any of my own cooking.

This is one that I would not buy again, but I think that you would need to try it yourself to see whether or not the "funny taste" was something that bothered you or not. The only way I've been able to eat these is by putting a ridiculous amount of strong-flavored jam on them, to drown out the funky taste. FYI: 3 of the 9 Amazon reviews are positive; one neutral review suggested that adding a freshly grated apple to the mix would improve it; and the 5 negative reviews agree with me that it has a funky, bitter taste. So... try at your own risk.

EDIT: I just noticed a note at the bottom of the Hodgson Mill page, that says "Garbonzo[sic] is out and Sorghum is in", so they've recently changed the formulation. I checked my box, and I have the newer formulation, but some of the Amazon reviews may be for the older one using garbanzo ... which would make the flavor even worse.

GF Tips Index

No comments: