07 April 2009

Early Butterfly

fluttering twixt
glass and screen; capture
yields freedom




There was a butterfly trapped in the window of my garage's person-sized door this afternoon. The window was open a smidgen to let fresh air into the garage, but the screen was still there, so I'm not sure how the butterfly even got in there. Maybe it crawled in as a caterpillar and built its cocoon in there. *shrugs* Either way, it wasn't having much fun getting out, and just opening the door wasn't enough: the butterfly just kept flying at the glass. So I gently cupped my hands around it and carried it around the door. Once it was in the sunlight, it just spread its wings and hung out on my hand for a bit: resting and soaking up rays. I think if I'd stayed still, it would have stayed there for quite a while. As soon as I started moving gently forward, though, the butterfly flew away. It looked something like this one that I came across two springs ago.

AM EDIT: After logging out last night, I decided I wanted to change the last line of the poem a bit. Above the fold is the new, hopefully improved, version. Here's the original:

fluttering twixt
glass and screen; capture
equals freedom


No comments: