14 July 2008

Puzzled

Okay, I know I'm out of shape. I should be walking everyday, not just the three or four times a week I manage. I was reasonably certain that some of my breathing problems stemmed from being out of shape as well. Only, I made an 8.5 mile hike with 2200 foot elevation gain yesterday, and only the blister on my right heel is sore. My calves are a tiny bit stiff, and my hips twinged once or twice last night, but that's it. So I'm confused. Best guess? The breathing problems have made me feel more out of shape than I actually am. Which is good, I suppose.

The way down seemed shorter to me, as well, but my memories of that may be colored by the time that I got lost and wandered 6-8 miles extra. Then again, I managed to find the "shortcut trail" at the end that bypasses several of the switchbacks. I don't recommend it for going up, but it's useful for getting down. Also, what I've taken to calling the "nightmare pass" (a rather nasty climb to get from the non-motorized side to the motorized side of the trail) didn't seem quite so nightmarish. Unpleasant and tiring, but no where near as bad as I remembered. Again, I suspect my memories are being influenced by the time I had to climb the thing after wandering 6-8 extra miles.

A guide to avoiding that is below the fold.

The Right Way:




The Wrong Way:




The Sign:




The Confusion




Now if the sign were actually upright, it probably wouldn't be an issue. As is, it's a bit difficult to tell if the Gibson Jack arrow is pointing towards the small trail that climbs up or towards the wider, road trail.

2 comments:

John said...

You think you're out of shape? I know people who won't walk to the curb to get the mail.

I know what you mean, though. I haven't been doing anywhere near as much walking as I used to (and I've pretty much given up running altogether). Even so, my definition of "within walking distance" still continues to confuse most people I know.

Qalmlea said...

Yeah, my definition of out of shape probably puts more than half of Americans as out of shape. Possibly more than three-quarters. Then again, that's something where it's useful to have moving goalposts, so long as I keep increasing the requirements rather than decreasing.

Example: Okay, I can do twenty elevators* in a row with no problem. Now can I do them one-legged?
*Back flat against the wall, heels against the wall, and slide up and down by bending the knees. Hold at the bottom for a few breaths before coming up. Very good for the quadruceps.