05 March 2007

Status Report (minor rant)

Interestingly, since getting on a full regimen of multivitamins, I haven't needed to take decongestant nearly as much. I think I took it once last week. I don't know if that's because my stuffy nose was due to a deficiency or if one of the vitamins has a decongestant effect. I've still been taking some guafeinisin (that's probably spelled wrong, but I don't care at the moment), to help with my breathing, but not the pseudoephedrine. And guafeinisin is available on the shelf. Pseudoephedrine isn't.

I've been feeling lousy today. Headache. Groggy. Irritable. I may have a cold coming on, or I may just be fed up with grading tests. Every class had a test on Friday. I've got all but one set graded now (and that one's almost done). I really really really really REALLY REALLY RRREEEAAALLLYYYY hate grading the Math025 tests. The way Cathi writes them, it's like she's trying to make them difficult to grade. Not the questions themselves: it's the placement on the page. They are inefficiently packed. Yes, the students need some room to write. Very few of them need that much lateral space. Vertical space would be more useful AND more efficient. This last test was 40 questions, on four pages, front and back. Eight total pages to grade. Every page flip adds time to the grading, not to mention the issue of wasted paper. This test could easily have been gotten down to 6 pages, were it packed more efficiently. Maybe four or five. Graphs can go side by side, after all. Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm feeling lousy because I had to grade those inefficiently packed tests...or if feeling lousy made the inefficiency irritate me more. I'll try to stop ranting now.

Or not. Going back to the sinus medication, why is it that so many of them package ingredients together? Especially in nonsensical combinations? Expectorant and cough suppressant, for instance. Expectorant loosens mucus so that you can cough it up. *sighs* It took me forever to find some guafeinisin (expectorant) packaged by itself. There's Mucinex, but I discovered that it puts me to sleep without the pseudoephedrine in it. Which is fine at night, but not during the day. Anyway, I better close this off if I don't want to have to restart my 108 days.

No comments: