28 March 2007

Dandelions


Strange Qalmlea, she grabbed a spade,
while making up this ballad.
Dug some dandelions and she
called them dinner salad!


I've decided that if dandelions are going to grow in my yard, then I'm going to eat them. However, it seems that the sources I found were correct when they said that full grown leaves tended to be extremely bitter. They would be good additions to a salad including other greens and vegetables, but an entire salad consisting of just dandelion leaves... It was a bit much. I did put some agave nectar and lemon juice on them, and added more agave nectar when I realized just how bitter they were, but even then I immediately wanted something to get the taste out of my mouth.

Some interesting things: there seemed to be a mild stimulant effect. I knew that the root was supposed to have a stimulant in it (and is sometimes roasted and used like coffee), but I didn't expect it in the leaves. It could also just be a reaction to the bitterness. But there was definitely an astringent effect on my mouth. Anyway, when I try this again, I will either have more vegetables on hand or discard all but the youngest leaves.

No comments: