17 November 2006

New Deviltry (aka Curses, Finished Again!)

The Tombs of Atuan was a quicker read. I haven't decided if it was because I related more to the lead character or because I was already in the proper mode to appreciate Le Guin's prose. And, yes, The Walrus & the Carpenter did have a copy of the third book, The Farthest Shore, but, unfortunately, it was badly water damaged, so I didn't get it. Still, it's amazing what potent ideas Le Guin can pack into such a short novel. There may be a Barnes and Noble visit in my future yet!

Anyway, I am apparently to play chauffeur tonight to me mam as we lay siege to the vile dungeon of Wal-Mart. Amusing bits from the transcript:

Mom: What's the plan for tonight?
Me: There's a plan?

After I figure out she wants me to drive her to Wal-Mart:
Me: Okay. I'll be right over.
Mom: No, you don't need to hurry.
Me: Oh. So what time should I get there?
Mom: Whenever is fine.
Me: What if I get there at midnight?
Mom: That's too late.
Me: Right. So when should I get there?
Mom: Before seven.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time I go to Wal-Mart with my mom, I swear to never do so again.

I think that says as much or more about me as it does Mom.

Anonymous said...

Always remember:

"The rules change in the Reaches."

Qalmlea said...

I'm not sure that Wal-Mart HAS any rules. ;^) But I really, really, REALLY, REALLY hate going there when it's crowded. Which is pretty much from 10 am to 10 pm. 7:00 am is about the best time I've found. My mom wouldn't be caught awake there at seven, though.