16 November 2006

Earthsea

A Wizard of Earthsea is only the second book I've read by Ursula K. Le Guin. The first was Left Hand of Darkness, some ten years past now. I think I liked Wizard better, though I would have to go back and reread now to be sure. Firstly, the writing style is beautiful. Wonderful. The text is pared down to its bare essence with nothing extra at all. In some cases, I would have liked more details, but they would be for curiosity's sake and not because the story required them. Also there are hints that more may be revealed in the later volumes of the series.

One thing that Wizard is not, is typical fantasy. Yes, there is magic. There are wizards. There are dragons. Yet the story is much more internal. It is a battle in the psyche rather than in the world itself, though the world is affected. The ending at first seemed unsatisfying, but the more I think about it, the more I realize it couldn't have ended any other way. I had even come to expect such an ending (though I did expect more, er, "fireworks" than there were).

At its heart, Wizard tells the tale of Ged, called Sparrowhawk, who is gifted with extraordinary magical talents from a young age, but is also cursed with inordinate pride. The pride is his undoing, and sets the course for the rest of the book. It sets loose a shadow in the world, a shadow which only Ged can stop, yet Ged seems powerless over it. In Le Guin's system of magic, to know a thing's True Name is to have control over it. Therein lies the key and the riddle.

Highly recommended, and now I'm half-tempted to go break into Waldenbooks to get the next book. Though I'd have to leave money for the damages as well as for the book, so I might as well wait until tomorrow.

ADDENDUM: Waldenbooks only has Tombs of Atuan in a rather unfortunate trade paperback version. Since I go up to IF tomorrow anyway, I'd rather try to find a more attractive version. The cover has pictures from the Sci-Fi channel's much-despised version and the text is in a horrible font. Combine that with the extra price for trade paperback size and I refuse to buy it. So I'll try Barnes and Noble.

RE-ADDENDUM: Braved the L-Space of the Walrus and the Carpenter to find it. Sure, chain bookstores also generate L-Space, but it's tame. This was the truly wild, whirling variety. Books were alphabetized backwards! ;^D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the best. "A Wizard Of Earthsea" is the best in the series, but they are all really good (Okay, I thought "Tehanu" just was a little disapointing)

My favorite quote is from "The Farthest Shore."

Ged says "And though I come to forget or regret all I have ever done, yet would I remember that I have seen dragons aloft on the wind at sunset above the western isles; and I would be content."

(That may be slightly misquoted)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah,

Stay away (far, far away) from the awful (oh, so awful) SciFi channel adaptation.

Qalmlea said...

LOL. That's the impression I got from Le Guin's own description of it. It's somewhere on her site, but I remember a description of the pain as she heard about what they were doing to her book, and wondering what she should tell fans who were going to tune into it expecting to see Earthsea. At any rate, I have no plans to watch it.