13 November 2006

Magnets, Sheets and Tires

Friday night, my mom was bored and sick of practicing piano and organ, so I let her drag me out to the mall. We wandered into Dillard's, which is pretty rare. Neither of us much likes the store. However, I lucked into some very VERY nice sheets for an amazing price. I've been looking for some different sheets for a while, but whenever I found any, either they were too expensive or I didn't quite like the color. There were some gorgeous turquoise sheets, 500 thread count, and I reluctantly looked at the price. I couldn't believe it. So I picked up another package and looked at its price. The same. I looked at several more packages of that color, and all the queen size ones were $25 (marked down from an original price of $99). Out of curiosity, I looked at the price of the same brand in a different color. None of the other colors was marked down. I found this odd, as the deep, rich turquoise was clearly the prettiest available color. Now, I was already amazed at the price, and at the register they took off another 50%, so I wound up paying $12.50 (+ tax) for a set of hundred dollar sheets.

The next day, Mom and I went to a craft show at the greenhouse. They do this every year around Christmas. I found an awesome magnet board. See, I have two sets of magnetic poetry, and my fridge is already rather full of magnets. I'd been planning to make a magnet board anyway, but I knew that for the price, this one was a heckuva lot better than anything I could make. It's got three 2-foot-square metal panels, surrounded by a wood frame, so it looks like a small door. With that in mind, I decided to mount it on the door to my computer office at home. I wasn't entirely sure it would work, as it's a hollow core door. However, the hardware store conveniently had some anchors labelled "best for panelling and hollow-core doors." So I attached a one-by-two using the anchors, attached some metal bits to the magnet board, set the board on the one-by-two, and anchored in the metal pieces to keep it from falling over. That was enjoyable. It also avoided putting any major holes in the magnet board.

Then this morning I decided it might actually be time to get my snow tires put on. Either I waited long enough that everyone else had already done theirs or I lucked out, as I got in and out of Les Schwab in about thirty minutes. That's a record. I'd actually hoped it would take longer, as I was trying to get a set of homework graded while I was waiting. :^D It's almost done now, and I suppose I ought to get back to it.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Wow! Nice price on the sheets. I put up a purchased magnet board in the kitchen to which I added a calendar grid using a Sharpie. I do the month and numbers with erasable markers and it gets a lot of traffic.

For October, we had o wars. My husband made a Jack- O' Lantern face in the "o". Next, Kate erased it, made it a doughnut with frosting and sprinkles, wrote d-o-u-g-h-n-u-t next to it. Then, when Fib came, he wrote a-m-o-e-b-a on the other side of it.

It has room for needed grocery items and notes to self and others as well. Great fun.

Qalmlea said...

:^D Sounds like fun. I did get some dry erase tiles to add onto the magnet board, but if I ever put a calendar up, it would probably not get changed for a very, VERY long time. I sometimes forget to change the paper variety. Mainly, I like having a single place that all my magnetic poetry tiles will fit.

Fibonacci said...

Ahem. "Amoeba" was already there. I connected the arms with line segments and wrote "irregular heptagon".

Qalmlea said...

Right. Now let's see you construct a regular heptagon using only a ruler and compass! ;^D