04 July 2009

Intuiting the Fourth



No deep commentary this time around. One thing that I found strange when this video first came out was the sheer number of people who didn't get it. People were treating it like it was a serious video, and accusing Jewel of selling out. The whole point of the video was to make fun of the idea of selling out, and ridiculous product placement, and arbitrarily switching between a folksy persona and a hollywood glitz persona. It cracked me up the first time I saw it, and it still cracks me up.

Not sure what brought this one to mind while I was trying to think of something to post for the Fourth. Maybe because politics has much the same flavor? The idea of branding oneself to the point that there isn't an actual person left any more? * shrugs *

No comments: