19 March 2009

Fly-By-Post

I've had something resembling a cold this week, but without any significant nasal activity. Today I just feel lousy. Last night I felt like death-warmed-over. Lousy is an improvement, and hopefully means I'm past the worst of it.

I've been digging the grass out of my bulb-garden, and it looks like 90% of the new bulbs came up. None of the ones that had been sitting out for a year did, but that's not a huge surprise. I no longer remember what all I planted, but I recognize tulips, hyacinth and daffodils in the sprouts. There's something else that seems to be starting with a huge bud rather than leaves, and I have no clue what it might be. And there are also some leaves that I think might be iris. I can't remember if I planted any iris. Interestingly, working in the soil has tended to make me feel better, at least until I burn off too much energy.

Sadly, rototilling the area reinvigorated the grass, so I've had a lot to dig out. When it's clear everything is up, I'll start putting some weedmat around to discourage too much of a recurrence. I think I'll have to cut it into narrow strips and put it across each row and column that way. Trying to cut holes for pre-existing plants ... might be doable for someone else, but I've tried and I always make a mess of it. Still, it will be nice to have a huge mass of flowers there. In the empty spaces, I may try to put a few more hollyhocks, or some other hardy perennial.

No comments: