13 August 2006

Shuffling: furniture and colors

*sighs* I haven't posted much this weekend because I've been busy. Between swapping furniture with my mom, helping her swap it with other people, finding space for the swaps I'VE taken and painting the upstairs hallway, I haven't had much time for anything else. I finally gave up on the flooring I bought several years ago for my back room. I realized that if I kept on as it was, it was going to look horrible. If I started over, I would need to buy more supplies. Neither option appealed to me, and my grandma's inheritance left door number 3 wide open: PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION. Better yet, Lowe's has bamboo flooring. What's so great about bamboo floors? Simple. Gorgeous, durable wood flooring from a resource that only takes 4 years to grow. Hardwoods may require centuries. I don't know yet what I'll do with my leftover planks. Either I'll find something, or find someone who wants to use them as intended.

Okay, furniture swapping. Mom ordered a set of three matching tables for her living room. She gave me one of Grandma's tables that was now superfluous and tried to get me to take the coffee table...which is too big. But it looks like my aunt Sandra wants it, so that should work out. Also, Mom had a twin bed to get rid of and Simba (guy in the choir at her church) somehow was without a bed. Not sure how he'd been sleeping, but he now has a twin bed and a set of sheets.

And colors. First, a rant. When I bought my house, it was white. White carpet. White vinyl flooring. White walls. White bloody doors. It.Was.Miserable. I've slowly been ading color to it, starting in the living room (deep blue carpet; adobe walls). The back room is red with some white, but the white works with the red in there. For some reason, I was in a Tibetan mood when I decided to paint the hallway before getting the floor put in, and was inspired by the bright yellow robes many Tibetan monks wear. Usually they are paired with deep red highlights, but I thought that might clash with the red of the back room, so I went with a deep reddish brown instead. It's almost done now. I've got a few touchups to do on and around one doorframe, then I'll check around for any other problem spots. I would have liked to replace the light (white box; white square glass cover), but I couldn't find anything that (a) I liked, (b) put out enough light and (c) I was willing to pay for. So I'm going to paint the box yellow and maybe stencil or stamp the glass cover to add some interest. I stenciled Chinese characters on the door in the brown color, then put a thin coat of yellow over them so that they still show through. Nice effect, imo.

No comments: