21 August 2006

First Evening Back

I now have a working normal door on my garage. The guy got here a bit before 9:00 to put it on, and was done somewhere around 10:30 or 11:00 except for "wrapping" it (putting metal around to spruce up and protect the wood frame). That's still not done; presumably it will be tomorrow or Wednesday. But the door itself is awesome. It's got a window that opens for ventilation (desperately needed in there) and is NOT falling apart AND will actually stay closed without a separate lock! Apparently my dad complained to my mom that I should have done the door myself. If I hadn't watched this guy put it in, I might even have halfway agreed with him. Now, uh-uh. I would have been in waaay over my head. Now that I've seen it done, I might have a chance of doing a decent job, but not before. Ripping the old bits out? No problem. Putting the door in place? No problem. Shimming it so that it's square and the door opens and closes easily? Problem. Mainly because it wouldn't have occurred to me to do so. And the rewrap? Uh...no.

The garage door itself has proven problematic. Well, not the door. The opener. I have a very old garage with extremely low clearance. The frame that the door slides up barely fits. The driver for the opener requires space ABOVE that. There's at least one solution that involves ordering a more expensive and more compact driver. I'm hoping the guy can work out something else, but the expensive solution is acceptable if there's no other way.

Both workmen have done excellent jobs (though the garage door MIGHT be done if he hadn't been on-call for all sorts of random "emergencies"), so I would recommend Precision Glass and Doors to anyone else who needs work done in Pocatello. They're a bit shorthanded and prone to running late, but they do a good job.

I got syllabi printed out in time to give to my classes tonight. Barely. I had to download the print driver for the department's newest printer (which I'd avoided doing for the past two years) as all the others are on the fritz. Blegh. But I have tomorrow's syllabi printed. They'd be copied, too, if Theresa hadn't been using the copier. Ah well.

Also tonight, my mom took Ji'e'toh to the vet. On Saturday, I noticed an odd swelling on the right side of Ji'e'toh's face. On Sunday it was worse. Much worse. Bad enough you could see it from a distance. I didn't see her today, but she apparently had an abscess, perhaps from a fight with another cat. I get to pick her up tomorrow, and learn how to drain the wound. I'm also going to be the one giving her antibiotics for a week, as I'm the only one in the family who can get her to actually SWALLOW pills. *sighs* At least it wasn't cancerous.

I'm hoping that I can go up to Gibson Jack on Wednesday. I've got a Tibetan prayer flag I want to tie up on the ridgeline.

No comments: